This last week Cherney Microbiological Services, Ltd. participated as a vendor in the 2014 International Cheese Technology Expo (ICTE) in Milwaukee, WI. The 3-day event gave the cheese makers throughout the world a chance to showcase their products & skills, learn of the latest technological advances, and meet or spend time with their friends throughout the dairy industry. We would like to thank all those who stopped by our booth to talk or introduce themselves for the first time. Although the highlight of the event was the time spent with colleagues during the receptions and sampling the award winning cheeses, the many attendees gave us a chance to reflect and look towards the future of this great industry!
I am frequently asked why I think basic education, continuing education and technical training is important and how it benefits both company and employee. It’s the continuous improvement ‘bones’ in me that makes me not only want to improve myself, but improve others around me. I think that’s done through knowledge and learning and that’s why I feel so strongly about education and training. At Cherney, we’ve always been a group of geeky learners (note the picture of "Sid the Science Kid" from PBS who I watch with my 2.5 year old granddaughter). We all just can’t seem to get enough!
In our continuing effort to help provide knowledge to companies to help mitigate their risk, we are excited to announce the launch our first blog! “Inside the Petri Dish” will contain a variety of topics including sharing and discussion on industry trends, addressing frequently asked questions and providing an inside look into our “world of microorganisms.”. What is our goal – simply to become a greater resource to you and your company. We intend to share our experiences and knowledge to help you evaluate your own systems and look for continuous improvement opportunities just as we do.
Cherney is asked regularly our thoughts on finished product sampling plans, environmental sampling devices, techniques, etc. We will address these and similar topics in upcoming blogs but quickly wanted to provide an answers to the “5 W’s (Who, What, When, Where, Why) regarding Cherney.
- Who: Cherney Microbiological Services, Ltd. is a woman-owned ISO 17025 and 17043 accredited testing laboratory located in northeastern Wisconsin. Visit our website @ www.cherneymicro.com
- What: Perform routine testing for companies across multiple industries for a variety of items including pathogenic, indicator, and spoilage organisms. Many of our customers fall within the following categories: dairy, ingredients, vegetable, pharmaceutical/nutritional, meat, paper, water/wastewater, etc. Special projects (challenge, shelf-life, inoculation studies) are also a specialty.
- When: The business started in June 1989 and we will be celebrating our 25th year anniversary in just a few months!
- Where: Located in the heart of the dairy industry and home of the Green Bay Packers - Green Bay, WI!
- Why: In short – it’s the passion for food safety and providing exceptional customer service that drove Debra Cherney to start Cherney Micro 25 years ago. Debra and her story will be featured in a future blog post!