- Sample fat is extracted, derivatized using sodium methoxide, and the total fat is quanitified using C13:0 internal standard by Gas Chromatography Flame Ionization Detector (GC-FID).
Amount of Sample Needed for Analysis:
- Individual test: 100 grams
- Full Nutritional Analysis: 300 grams
Acceptable Sample Types:
Estimated Turn Around Time:
- Individual Test: 5-6 business days
- Full Nutritional Analysis: 10-12 business days
Results Reporting Units:
- Results are reported as percentage (%)
- There are two types of fat:
- Saturated fat is found in
- Higher in animal products
- solid at room temperature.
- Unsaturated fat
- Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats
- Higher in plants
- liquid at room temperature.
- Trans fat
- An unsaturated fat found in partially hydrogenated oils and in small amounts of some animal products.
- Structurally different from unsaturated fat naturally in plant foods
- Negative health impacts.